"CHALTON, a parish in the hundred of Finch Dean, in the county of Southampton, 3 miles N.E. of Horn Dean, its post town, and 8 miles N. of the Havant station on the Brighton and South Coast railway. It includes the chapelry of Idsworth. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value with the rectory of Clanfield and curacy of Idsworth annexed, £600, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice with a tower. Here is a National school for both sexes. Sir S. C. Jervoise, Bart., is lord of the manors"
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- St Michael & All Angels, South Lane, Church of England
- St Hubert, -, Church of England, Idsworth
- Finchdean URC, Ashcroft Lane, United Reformed, Finchdean
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Chalton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- A transcription of the section for Chalton from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Chalton from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Chalton to another place.
- The entry for Chalton from British History Online.
- View maps of Chalton and places within its boundaries.