"CRONDALL, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Crondall, in the county of Hants, 3½ miles S.E. of Odiham. It is situated on the Basingstoke canal, and the Roman way to Silchester. It contains the tythings of Ewshott, Crondall, Crookham, Swanthorpe, and Dippenhall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £441, in the patronage of the Hospital of St. Cross, Winchester. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an early English structure, and contains an ancient brass of 1370. There is a district church at Crookham, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the patronage of the vicar. There are several charities, also an endowed and several other schools. At Ewshott Heath is Caesar's Camp, with a double ditch. Some old French gold coins have been discovered in a field adjoining. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]