National Gazetteer (1868) - Ellisfield
"ELLISFIELD, (or Illsfield), a parish in the Basingstoke division of the upper half of the hundred of Bermondspit, county Hants, 5 miles S. of Basingstoke, its post town. By some this is supposed to derive its name from Ella the Saxon, who here gained a victory over the Britons. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £295. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Martin. The charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a small school. The Earl of Portsmouth is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]