"GOSPORT, a parish chapelry, seaport, market, and post town, in the parish and liberty of Alverstoke, county Hants, 23 miles S.E. of Winchester, and 77 from London by the turnpike road, or 96 by the South-Western railway, which has a branch line to this place. It is situated on the western side of the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour, on a point of land facing the town of Portsmouth, from which it is distant, at one part, only half a mile, and with which there is constant intercourse by means of a steam ferry, and a floating bridge conveying passengers, carriages, horses, and all kinds of merchandise. Gosport is, comparatively, a modern town, deriving its importance, chiefly, from its proximity to Portsmouth.
It appears that King Stephen succeeded in landing here, after being driven about in a storm, and called it God's Port. He afterwards bestowed it upon his brother, the Bishop of Blois, who granted it a charter. The town is well built, and, especially from the water, has a handsome appearance. It is governed in matters relating to its sanitary and social condition by a body of trustees appointed under a local Act of Parliament, who make and levy all rates for paving, lighting, &c. There are also two officers, called constables, chosen under the ancient charter.
The town contains a market-house, theatre, commercial and savings banks, house of correction, foundries, breweries, and extensive works connected with the government establishments, affording employment to a large number of people. Here are situated the Royal Clarence victualling-yard for supplying her Majesty's navy, extensive powder magazines, the Forton marine barracks, and the Haslar hospital, capable of accommodating 2,000 inmates. Within a short distance of the above hospital are the two powerful batteries known as the Block House and Monckton forts; other defences are in process of construction. The coastguard and police services have stations here. It is a polling-place for the county, and petty sessions are held fortnightly.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £220, with good parsonage house, in the patronage of the Rector of Alverstoke. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was originally erected in 1696, and has been subsequently much enlarged. It was entirely repaired in 1830 at the cost of £4,000. Its internal appearance is very handsome. There is also the district church of St. Matthew, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £200, in the gift of the bishop and rector alternately. The Independents have two chapels, and the Wesleyans and Roman Catholics one each. There are five National schools, and two free schools, one in connection with Trinity church, and one a Roman Catholic school. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor. Tuesdays and Saturdays are the market days."
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Cemetery, Ann's Hill Road, Cemetery
- Brockhurst Baptist Church, Netherton Road, Baptist
- Stoke Road Baptist Church, Stoke Road, Baptist
- Victoria Street Baptist Chapel, Victoria Street, Baptist
- Christ Church, Stoke Road, Church of England
- Holy Trinity, Haslar Road, Church of England
- St Faith, Victoria Square, Lee-on-the-Solent, Church of England
- St John the Evangelist, Forton Road, Forton, Church of England
- St Matthew, Wych Lane, Bridgemary, Church of England
- Bridgemary Methodist Church, Prideaux-Brune Avenue, Bridgemary, Methodist
- Gosport Methodist Church, Stoke Road, Methodist
- Lee Methodist Church, High Street, Lee-on-the-Solent, Methodist
- Chapel, Queen's Street, Other
- Gosport Family Church, Grove Road, Other
- Gosport Spiritualist Church, Forton Road, Other
- Jacob's Well Family Church, Layton Road, Bridgemary, Other
- Kingdom Hall, Moreland Road, Forton, Other
- Logos Community Church, Copse Lane, Other
- Middlecroft Gospel Hall, Middlecroft Lane, Other
- Peel Common Evangelical Church, Newgate Lane, Other
- Solent Evangelical Church, Forton Road, Other
- Salvation Army, The Crossways, Forton, Salvation Army
- Bury Road URC, Bury Road, United Reformed
- St Columba, Fisher Road, Bridgemary, Roman Catholic
- St John the Evangelist, South Place, Lee-on-the-Solent, Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, Ann's Hill Road, Roman Catholic
- St Mary, High Street, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Gosport area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- A transcription of the section for Gosport from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Gosport from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Gosport to another place.
- The entry for Gosport from British History Online.
- View maps of Gosport and places within its boundaries.