"NORTHWOOD, a parish in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight, county Hants, 2 miles N.W. of Newport, its post town. The parish, which is extensive, contains the chapelry and town of West Cowes [which see]. It is bounded on the E. by the navigable river Medina, on the W. by the Newtown river, on the N. by the sea, and on the S. by the Forest of Parkhurst. It is traversed from N. to S. by the road from West Cowes to Newport. The surface slopes gently towards the banks of the Medina. The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage* of Carisbrooke, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum, including a rent-charge of £15, bequeathed in 1687 by J. Mann for the maintenance of orphans. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]