National Gazetteer (1868) - Liss
"LISS, (or Lyss), a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Finch Dean, Petersfield division of county Hants, 4 miles N.E. of Petersfield, its post town. It is a station on the Guildford, Godalming, and New Portsmouth branch line of railway. The parish contains the tythings of Liss Abbass and Liss Turney. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £150, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There are a National school and Sunday-schools, also a place of worship for the Wesleyans. Sir Charles Taylor is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]