National Gazetteer (1868) - Martyr Worthy
"MARTYR-WORTHY, (or Worthy-martyrcum-chilland), a parish in the hundred of Fawley, Winchester division of the county Hants, 4 miles E. of Winchester, its post town, and 4½ S.W. of Alresford. The village, which is small, is situated on the Winchester and Alresford road, near the river Itchen, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £343, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a small structure, with a wooden tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1540. There is a free school, endowed with an annuity of £6 10s. 4d. Wortly Park, the principal residence, commands a view of the Itchen valley. G. E. Wall, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner.
"CHILLAND, a tything in the parish of Martyr-Worthy, in the county of Hants, 3 miles N.E. of Winchester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]