National Gazetteer (1868) - Monk Sherborne
"MONK SHERBORNE, (or West), a parish in the hundred of Basingstoke, county Hants, 3½ miles NW. of Basingstoke, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Kingsclere. The village is of small extent. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The parish includes the tything of Pamber. The surface is undulating and well wooded, about two-thirds being arable, and the remainder woodland and meadow. The soil is clayey, upon a substratum of chalk. The impropriate tithes belong to Queen's College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £50, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square wooden tower containing four bells. There is a free school for both sexes, erected in 1850 at the expense of the late Duke of Wellington. There are some remains of a Benedictine priory, founded by Sir John de Port as a cell to the abbey of Cerasy, in Normandy. At the suppression it was given by Henry VI. to Eton College, but subsequently transferred to Queen's College, Oxford, as masters of St. Julian's hospital at Southampton. The chapel, which is still used for the performance of Divine service, contains the recumbent figure of a Knight Templar, carved in solid oak.
"CHINEHAM, a tything in the parish of Monk Sherborne, in the upper half of the hundred of Basingstoke, in the county of Hants, 2 miles S.E. of the village of Monk Sherborne, and 1 N.E. of Basingstoke."
"WOODGARSTON, a tything in the parish of Monk Sherborne, county Hants, 5 miles N.W. of Basingstoke."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]