"MONK SHERBORNE, (or West), a parish in the hundred of Basingstoke, county Hants, 3½ miles NW. of Basingstoke, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Kingsclere. The village is of small extent. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The parish includes the tything of Pamber. The surface is undulating and well wooded, about two-thirds being arable, and the remainder woodland and meadow. The soil is clayey, upon a substratum of chalk. The impropriate tithes belong to Queen's College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £50, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford."
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- All Saints, -, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Monk Sherborne area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- A transcription of the section for Monk Sherborne from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Monk Sherborne from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Monk Sherborne to another place.
- The entry for Monk Sherborne from British History Online.
- View maps of Monk Sherborne and places within its boundaries.