Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - North Charford
"NORTH CHARFORD, a parish in the hundred of Upper Fordingbridge, in the county of Hants, 32 miles N. of Fordingbridge, its post town, and 6 miles from Salisbury. It is situated on the river Avon, and was named by the Saxons Cerdicesford, from the circumstance of Cerdic having here defeated the British king, Nanteleod. The living is a curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester, valued in the king's books at £5 13s. 4d., but at present not in charge. The church, once dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, has long been in ruins. There is no village, and only a small agricultural population, decreasing."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]