"SHERFIELD-ENGLISH, a parish in the hundred of Thorngate, Romsey division of county Hants, 43 miles N.W. of Romsey, its post town, and 2 S. of Dunbridge railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a valley, and is wholly, agricultural. The surface is undulating, commanding extensive views of-New Forest and the Isle of Wight. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £284 16s., and the glebe comprises 39 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £350. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. The register dates from 1745. There is a free school. Melchett Park is the principal residence."
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- St Leonard, A27, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sherfield English area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- A transcription of the section for Sherfield English from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Sherfield English from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Sherfield English to another place.
- The entry for Sherfield English from British History Online.
- View maps of Sherfield English and places within its boundaries.