"SOUTHAMPTON, comprises the parishes of St. Mary, St. Laurence, All Saints, Holy Rood, St. John, St. Michael, and St. Mary Extra; it is a seaport, market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, and a county of itself, locally in the hundred of Mainsbridge, county Hants, 14 miles S.S.W. of Winchester, 17 N.E. of Lymington, and 11 N.W. of Portsmouth. It is situated on a peninsula at the head of Southampton Water, between the river Test, or Anton, on the W., and the Alre, or Itchen, on the E. It is a constantly and rapidly-increasing place, the population having risen from 7,913 in 1801 to 35,305 in 1851, and 46,960 in 1861, occupying 7,712 houses. About a mile to the S.W. of the present town stood the Roman Clausentum, the site of which is now occupied by Bittern Farm, and is still indicated by a fosse and vallum on the land side. "