National Gazetteer (1868) - Stockbridge
"STOCKBRIDGE, a parish, post, and market town in the upper division of Thorngate hundred, having separate jurisdiction, but locally in county Hants, 9 miles N. of Romsey, and 9 N. W. of Winchester. It is a station on the Andover and Southampton branch of the London and South-Western railway. It is situated on the river Test and the Andover and Redbridge canal, the former being celebrated for its trout fishing. It is a petty sessions town, and until disfranchised by the Reform bill returned two members to parliament. The town consists of one long street, forming part of the great western road, with the townhall standing nearly in the centre. There were formerly numerous small bridges over the branches of the Test, which intersect the main street, but these have recently been taken down except one, and the whole has been arched over.
In this parish are the union poorhouse and a police station, also two extensive training establishments for race horses. The Houghton fishing club is held at the Grosvenor Arms, which is also used by the members of the Bibury racing club, removed hither from Gloucestershire. The preparation of parchment and glue afford employment to a few persons, but the chief business is in agricultural produce. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £198. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing four bells. There is a parochial school. The Independents have a chapel. The race-stand is situated near Danebury-hill camp, under which is the course, recently formed in the adjoining parishes of Wallop and Longstock. Lord Clarendon is lord of the manor. Market day is on Thursday. A fair for the sale of lambs is held on 10th July. The races are in June."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]