National Gazetteer (1868) - Sydmonton
"SIDMONTON, a parish in the lower half division of Kingsclere hundred, county Hants, 7 miles S. of Newbury railway station, and 3 S.W. of Kingsclere, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. It formerly belonged to Romsey Abbey, and passed at the Dissolution to the Kingsmills. There is a meet for the Craven hounds at Sidmonton Common. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Ecchinswell, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing six bells. William Kingsmill, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]