National Gazetteer (1868) - Tadley
"TADLEY, a parish in the hundred of Overton, Kingsclere division of county Hants, 7 miles from Basingstoke, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Mortimer railway station. The village is on the road from Basingstoke to Aldermaston. Part of the land is in common. The making of brooms is carried on to a considerable extent. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Overton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small edifice with a tower. The parochial charities produce about £2 10s. per annum. There is a church school. The Independents have a chapel, also a school. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]