"TUFTON, a parish in the hundreds of Wherwell and Evingar, county Hants, 1 mile S.W. of Whitchurch, its railway station and post town. The village is situated on the river Test. The surface is hilly, with a subsoil of chalk and gravel. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Bullington, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Earl of Portsmouth is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]