"WARBLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Hants, three quarters of a mile S.E. of Havant, its railway station and post town. The village is situated on Langston Harbour, opposite Hayling Island, and comprises the chapelries of Emsworth, and part of Red Hill. Warblington came from a family of that name in Henry III.'s time to Ralph de Monthermer, and subsequently to the Montacutes and Cottons, whose mansion, Warblington Castle, is now in ruins, the gateway and tower alone remaining. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £550. The church is of the early part of the 13th century, and has two oratories. Stone coffins from 5½ to 7 feet in length have been found here. The register dates from 1660. There are also the district churches of Emsworth and Red Hill, the livings of which are perpetual curacies "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]