"WINCHESTER, comprises the parishes of St. Bartholomew Hyde, St. Lawrence, St. Peter Cheeshill, St. Swithin, St. John, St. Mary Kalendar, and St. Thomas; it is an ancient city and market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, having separate jurisdiction, but locally situated in the hundred of Buddlesgate, county Hants, of which it is the county town, 12 miles N.E. of Southampton, and 62 S.W. of London by road, or 66½ by the London and South-Western railway, on which it is a station. Before the Roman time it was successively occupied by the Iberians, Britons, and Belgæ. On the conquest of the island by the Romans, the city was taken by Ostorius Scapula, and called Yenta Belgaruan. Carausius and Alectus, who assumed the imperial purple in Britain, are asserted to have fixed their residence in this city, and here their coins have been discovered in greater numbers than in any other part of the island. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]