Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Hampshire - churches and their records
Parish registers - originals and microfilms/microfiche
- Hampshire Record Office. holds most parish registers for Hampshire, except some for Portsmouth and Southampton.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project is being co-ordinated by Tony and Linda Knight who are hosting the data on their website: OPC Hampshire. Tony and Linda will maintain the individual parish pages and utilize their own transcriptions plus the many donated transcriptions for the many parishes of Hampshire. Volunteers to help with this enormous project (there are nearly 400 parishes and chapelries in this County) are always welcomed. The online parish clerk is a volunteer who would gather information for a specific parish and provide transcriptions, advice and lookups based on this information. If you would like to take on a particular parish or donate transcriptions for individual parishes please contact Tony and Linda Knight. They would also welcome contributions from anyone who is unable to commit to responsibility for a parish but would still like to contribute. Any contributions that are made will be credited to the submitter.
- Portsmouth Museums and Records Service. Church of England records for the Deaneries of Alverstoke, Portsmouth and Havant. Catholic records and some non conformist registers.
- Southampton Archives . holds Church of England parish records for Southampton, including original registers of baptisms, marriages and burials. All the pre 1837 registers have been transcribed and indexed. A cross-parish surname index is being compiled for post 1837 registers.
- Non-conformist registers held by the National Archives (was Public Record Office), deposited in 1837, are available on microfilm at the Family Records Centre in London. Most are indexed in the IGI.
- Microfilm copies of many parish registers are in the Family History Library of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; they are listed on-line in the FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog which is also available from their Distribution Centres for purchase as a CDROM. Microfilms can be ordered for viewing at any Family History Centre of the LDS Church world-wide.
Indexes to church records
- Hampshire Genealogical Society has a marriage index 1538-1837. Their web site shows it as available as a search service for members, and for members in their research room. The society is making its indexes more widely available, look at their website for recent information.
- Hampshire Genealogical Society produce a Burial Index on CDROM and in Family History Online (FFHS pay-per-view site)
- Monumental Inscriptions on microfiche available from Hampshire Genealogy Society
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has two major sets of indexes of registers. The International Genealogical Index (IGI) covers about 180 Anglican marriage and baptism registers and about 80 non-conformist registers. It is available free on-line within FamilySearch, is available on CDROM at Family History Centers of the LDS Church and other libraries, and earlier versions are available on microfiche.
IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire from Hugh Wallis shows parishes and dates included
- The British Vital Records Index (VRI) (second edition) also from the LDS Church includes about 205,000 baptisms and 42,000 marriages in Hampshire; it is available for purchase as CDs covering the British Isles, from Distribution Centers of the LDS Church (contact a Family History Center to find the one nearest to you) or order at the FamilySearch on-line distribution center (choose order/dowload products, search for 50028000 or Vital Records Index). The detailed lists of parishes and dates covered in the BVRI (2nd edition) are on-line in GENOOT.
- Society of Genealogists parish register copies and indexes - list of their holdings
- Hampshire Family History - Parish Registers has a detailed list of transcripts available on Internet.
- Archive CD Books marriage licence page describes their CD which has a list of marriage licences for Hampshire, Bishop of Winchester 1689-1837).
- The Parish Register Transcription Society sell on microfiche the Hackman Series of Hampshire & the Isle of Wight Bishops Transcripts. Microfiche copies covering Hampshire baptisms, marriages and burials. Mainly covering the period 1780 - 1812. They are not indexed. Note that the society is discontinuing sale on microfiche when present stocks are finished - future sales will be on CD
- Ted Wildy's UK Marriage witness index includes Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
- Information of the location of Quaker Records in Hampshire provided by the Quaker FHS.
- We have as Zip files indexes to some of the volumes of Phillimores Hampshire marriage registers (Published 1900). Our files were provided in 1995 by Reg Moore of New Zealand. Archive CD Books sell on CDROM facsimiles of the Phillimore books.