Hampshire - churches and their records
History and Description of some Church of England Hampshire churches in Winchester Diocese, and all Church of England dioceses (in England).
Parish registers - originals and microfilms/microfiche
Record Office. holds most parish registers for Hampshire,
except some for Portsmouth and Southampton.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project is being co-ordinated by Tony and Linda Knight who are hosting the data on their website: OPC Hampshire. Tony and Linda will maintain the individual parish pages and utilize their own transcriptions plus the many donated transcriptions for the many parishes of Hampshire. Volunteers to help with this enormous project (there are nearly 400 parishes and chapelries in this County) are always welcomed. The online parish clerk is a volunteer who would gather information for a specific parish and provide transcriptions, advice and lookups based on this information. If you would like to take on a particular parish or donate transcriptions for individual parishes please contact Tony and Linda Knight. They would also welcome contributions from anyone who is unable to commit to responsibility for a parish but would still like to contribute. Any contributions that are made will be credited to the submitter.
- Portsmouth Museums and Records Service.
Church of England records for the Deaneries of Alverstoke, Portsmouth and Havant.
Catholic records and some non conformist registers.
Southampton City Archives Service .
holds Church of England parish records for Southampton,
including original registers of baptisms, marriages and burials.
All the pre 1837 registers have been transcribed and indexed.
A cross-parish surname index is being compiled for post 1837 registers.
registers held by the National Archives (was Public Record Office), deposited
in 1837, are available on microfilm at the Family
Records Centre in London. Most are indexed in the IGI.
- Microfilm copies of many parish registers are in the
Family History Library of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-Day Saints; they are listed on-line in the FamilySearch
Family History Library Catalog which is also
available from their Distribution Centres for purchase as
a CDROM. Microfilms can be ordered for viewing at any
Family History Centre of the LDS Church world-wide.
Indexes to church records
Hampshire Genealogical Society has a marriage index
1538-1837. Their web site shows it as available as a search service for members,
and for members in their research room. The society is making its indexes more widely available,
look at their website for recent information.
- Hampshire Genealogical Society produce a
Burial Index on CDROM and in
Family History Online (FFHS pay-per-view site)
Monumental Inscriptions on microfiche available from Hampshire Genealogy Society
- The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-Day Saints has two major sets of indexes of
registers. The International
Genealogical Index (IGI) covers about 180 Anglican
marriage and baptism registers and about 80
non-conformist registers. It is available free on-line
is available on CDROM at Family
History Centers of the LDS Church and other
libraries, and earlier versions are available on
IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire from Hugh Wallis shows parishes and dates included
- The British Vital Records Index (VRI)
(second edition) also from the LDS Church includes about 205,000 baptisms
and 42,000 marriages in Hampshire; it is available for purchase
as CDs covering the British Isles, from
Distribution Centers of the LDS Church (contact a Family
History Center to find the one nearest to you) or
order at the FamilySearch
on-line distribution center (choose order/dowload
products, search for 50028000 or Vital Records Index).
The detailed lists
of parishes and dates covered in the BVRI (2nd
edition) are on-line in GENOOT.
Society of Genealogists parish register copies and indexes - list of their holdings
Hampshire Family History - Parish Registers
has a detailed list of transcripts available on Internet.
Archive CD Books marriage licence page
describes their CD which has a list of marriage licences for
Hampshire, Bishop of Winchester 1689-1837).
The Parish Register Transcription Society sell on microfiche the Hackman Series of
Hampshire & the Isle of Wight Bishops Transcripts. Microfiche copies covering Hampshire
baptisms, marriages and burials. Mainly covering the period 1780 - 1812. They are not indexed.
Note that the society is discontinuing sale on microfiche when present stocks are finished -
future sales will be on CD
- Ted Wildy's UK Marriage witness index includes Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
- Information of the location of Quaker Records in
Hampshire provided by the Quaker FHS.
- We have as Zip files indexes to some of the volumes of Phillimores Hampshire marriage
registers (Published 1900). Our files were provided in 1995 by Reg Moore of New Zealand.
Archive CD Books
sell on CDROM facsimiles of the Phillimore books.