Abbey Dore, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ABBEY DORE, (or Dore), a parish in the hundred of Webtree, in the county of Hereford, 13 miles S.W. of Hereford, and 2 N.W. of Pontrilas railway station. It is situated in the Golden Valley on the river Dore, which is celebrated for its trout, and falls into the Munnow near Roilstone. The Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway passes through the parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £680, and in the patronage of the co-heirs of the late Duchess of Norfolk, who hold the manor.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a spacious stone edifice, in the Norman style of architecture, with a square tower, and three beautiful stained glass windows. It contains a screen, several monuments and ancient vases, and a remarkable stone coffin of very early date, which was discovered under the church. It formerly belonged to the Cistercian abbey of Dore, founded by Robert de Ewyas, in the reign of King Stephen, whose monument may still be seen in the church. There is a United National and Free School, endowed by Watts with £8 per annum; and the parochial charities amount to about £37. The population is small, and employed in agriculture. The union of Dore comprises 28 parishes and townships, and the petty sessions are held here."