Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
BLAKEMERE is a parish and village on the Hereford and Hay road, 6 miles from Moorhampton Railway Station on the Hereford, Hay and Brecon section of the Midland Railway, 11 west from Hereford and 10 east from Hay, the northern division of the county, Webtree hundred, Weobley Union and petty Sessional division, Hereford county court district, and in the rural deanery of Weobley and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Leonard, rebuilt in 1877, as nearly as possible on the same lines as the old church, at a cost of £1,000, from plans by Mr. G. Truefitt, of London, is a building of stone in the Transition style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 3 bells: there are stained windows, a fine Norman arch, and a brass dated 1760: there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Preston-on-Wye, joint yearly value £190 including 67 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford and held since 1910 by the Rev. Walter Riley Gledhill, M.A. of Keble College, Oxford, who resides at Preston-on-Wye. Sir Geoffrey Cornewall bart., of Moccas Court, who is lord of the manor, Chandos Brydges Lee-Warner esq. of Tyberton Court, Mrs Water T. Williams and Miss Haywood are the principal landowners. The soil is chiefly light loam; subsoil, sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and swedes. The area is 1,115 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value £1,133; and the population in 1911 was 104.
Parish Clerk.- William Williams
POST OFFICE.- William Williams, sub-postmaster. Letters through Hereford via Madley, arrive at 6.45 a.m. & are despatched at 4.45 p.m. week days only. Preston-on-Wye is the nearest money order office & telegraph office, 2 miles distant
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1865 for the joint parishes of Preston-on-Wye & Blakemere, for 53 children; average attendance, 45; Miss Jessie Turner, mistress.
Carriers.- Edward Andrews, to Hereford Wednesday & Saturday, & Mrs. Lucy Stevens, To Hereford, Saturday.
Haywood Miss, Blakemere house Williams Walt. T., B.A. Blakemere House COMMERCIAL Andrews Alfred, carrier Roper George, farmer, lower Blakemere Bebb Joseph, farmer, church house Stevens Mrs. Lucy, carrier Jackson Thomas, wheelwright, Holywell Wall William, farmer, Woodland House Jones Thomas, farmer, Church farm Williams William, shopkeeper & Parish Clerk, Post Office Passey William, farmer, The Godway
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]