Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in January 2003
BLAKEMERE is a parish and village on the Hereford and Hay road, 6 miles from Moorhampton Railway Station on the Herefordshire, Hay and Brecon section of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, 11 west from Hereford and 10 east from Hay, in the Leominster division of the county, Webtree hundred, Weobley Union, petty Sessional division and rural deanery, Hereford county court district, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Leonard, rebuilt in 1877, as nearly as possible on the same lines as the old church, at a cost of £1,000, from plans by Mr. G. Truefitt, of London, is a building of stone in the Transition style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 3 bells: there are stained windows, a fine Norman arch, and a brass dated 1760: there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1662. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Preston-on-Wye, joint yearly value £300 including 67 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford and held since 1910 by the Rev. Walter Riley Gledhill, M.A. of Keble College, Oxford, who resides at Preston-on-Wye. Sir Geoffrey Cornewall bart., D.L., J.P., who is lord of the manor, Maj. Chandos Brydges Lee-Warner J.P., Mrs Walter T. Williams and Miss Haywood are the principal landowners. The soil is chiefly light loam; subsoil, sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, swedes, hops and fruits. The area is 1,115 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value £1,133; and the population in 1921 was 112.
POST OFFICE.- Letters through Hereford. Madley is the nearest M. O. &. Preston-on-Wye is the nearest telegraph office.
Midland Red Omnibuses run to Hereford, Wednesday and Saturday
PRIVATE RESIDENTS Haywood Miss, Blakemere House Williams Mrs. Blakemere House Williams John Herbert, Rosebank COMMERCIAL Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over Dance Arthur Joseph, cycle repairer, Holywell Marfell Leon, farmer, Kinley James Henry Thomas, shopkeeper Pugh Thomas Evan, farmer, The Godway Jones Percy, farmer, Church farm ° Roper George H. farmer, Lower Blakemere Jones William, smallholder, White House Wall William, farmer, Woodland House Lloyd Thomas, farmer, Church house
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1929 in Hereford Central Library]