Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1863
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
BLAKEMERE, or Blackmere, is a parish and village, 11 miles west from Hereford Railway Station, 8 north-west from Abbey Dore, 10 east from Hay, and 155 from London, in Webtree hundred, Weobley union, and Hereford county court district, rural deanery, archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Hereford and Hay road. The church of St. Leonard is an old stone building, with small tower; it has nave, porch, chancel and font. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Preston-on-Wye, joint annual value £250, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford: The Rev. Edward Howells, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, is the incumbent, and the Rev. Henry Bernard Marshall, B.A., is curate. There is an infant school here. The population in 1861 was 175; the acreage is 1,127. The soil is sandy; the subsoil is sandstone, Sir Velters Cornewall, Bart., is lord of the manor; The Rev. H. Lee-Warner, of Tibberton Court, Mr. J. Mathews, Mr. W. Matthews, and Mr. Wm. Allford, are chief landowners.
KINLEY, WOODLAND HOUSE, LOWER GODWAY, and HOLYWELL, are places here.
Parish Clerk, James Price.
Allford William, farmer, Lower Godway Jones Thomas, blacksmith, Holywell Ambury Jas. Farmer, Lower Blakemere Mathews John, farmer, Woodland Ho. Bowyer Amos, Plough, and builder Morgan Thomas, carpenter Davies William, farmer Phillips Benjamin, shopkeeper Davis George, wheelwright Price John, shoemaker Haywood Henry, farmer & land agent, & steward to Sir Velters Cornewall, bart. Blakemere House Price William, shoemaker Holl Robert, farmer, Kinley Saunders William, tailor, Holywell Howells C. shoemaker Williams John, shopkeeper & mason, Holywell
Infant School, Mrs. Frances Meredith.
Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office.
from an original edition of this 1863 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]