Bredenbury, Herefordshire

Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863

Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004

BREDENBURY.

BREDENBURY is a parish, 3 miles west from Bromyard, and 8 west from Leominster railway, in Bromyard union and county court district, Broxash hundred, Frome deanery, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the Bromyard and Leominster turnpike road. The church (name not known) is a building of brick and stone (recently restored), in the Gothic style, with square tower and 2 bells; it has a nave, chancel, font, porch, an old register, and chest. The living, is a rectory, commuted at £65 yearly, with 15 acres of glebe land and 30 acres of land purchased by Queen Anne's, in the gift of the E. Higginson, Esq., and held by Rev. Thomas Laugharne, M.A. Bredenbury Court, adjoining the church, a modern structure delightfully situated, commanding a beautiful view of the Malvern Hills, is the residence of Capt. R. Johnson. The population in 1861 was 52; the acreage is 555. The soil in some parts is a strong red clay, and in some loamy. Edmund Higginson, Esq., is the chief landowner. The chief crops are hops, apples, wheat, and beans.

WICTON, Stake, Redhill, and Bolter's Close are places here.

Parish Clerk, James Thomas.


BREDENBURY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Johnson Capt. Robt. Bredenbury court
Laugharne Rev. Thomas, M.A. Rectory

COMMERCIAL.

Bevan Henry, farmer, Stake
Drew James, farmer, Wickton
Finney Charles, farmer, Bredenbury farm
Lane Charles, farmer, Red hill
Spencer Thomas, farmer, Bolter's Close

Letters are received Bromyard, which is the nearest money order office

Top Return to top of page

[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in March 2004
from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]

URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Bredenbury/PostOffice1863.html