CRADLEY, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CRADLEY, a parish in the hundred of Radlow, in the county of Hereford, 6½ miles S.E. of Bromyard, and 7 N.E. of Ledbury. It contains the tythings of East and West Cradley. Part of the land is in hops. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £957, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. James, is partly in the Norman and partly in the early English styles. There is also a district church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the patronage of the Rector of Cradley. The charities amount to £76 per annum, £20 of which goes to Turner's school. There are an endowed free school, a Sunday school, and a girls' school. G. E. Wall, Esq., and the Rev. W. H. Wall, M.A., are lords of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]