DINMORE PRECEPTORY, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DINMORE PRECEPTORY, an extra-parochial place in the hundred of Grimsworth, in the county of Hereford, 8 miles N.W. of Hereford, by the Shrewsbury and Hereford Joint line, on which it is a station, and 2 from Wellington, its post town. It is situated under Dinmore Hill, on which, in Henry II.'s reign, stood a preceptory of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. The chapel, in which divine service is held, is a spacious old stone structure, recently restored at the expense of the St. John family, who own the property."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]