Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905
[Photocopy starts here] petty sessional division of Hereford and hundred of Grimsworth. The chapel of St. John of Jerusalem, erected in the early part of the 12th century and formerly attached to the Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers once existing here, is the private property of the lady of the manor; it in a rectangular building of stone in the Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a western tower with spire, and was rebuilt in the year 1370, and thoroughly restored in 1886 by the late Rev. Harris Fleming St. John M.A. and filled with painted windows executed by himself: this chapel is stated to have had the privilege of sanctuary: there are sittings for 50 persons. The register dates from the year 1857. Mrs. St. John is patron of the chaplaincy. The Rev. Francis Henry Tuke M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of and resides at Hope-under-Dinmore, has been chaplain since 1904. Dinmore Manor House, the property and residence of Mrs. St. John, lady of the manor and sole landowner, adjoins the chapel and occupies the site of the ancient Preceptory: it was modernized at the time of a previous restoration of the chapel at the beginning of the present century by the late Rev. J. Fleming St. John M.A. but many of the stone mullions, doorways and portions of the oak panelling were retained: the mansion contains some paintings by Rubens, and among the numerous curiosities are two cabinets obtained by an ancestor of the family at Lisbon, at the time of the great earthquake, with paintings on the drawers by the same master. The soil is clayey; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, beans and roots. The area is 570 acres; rateable value, £385; Population in 1901, 27. Letters through Leominster arrive by foot messenger about 9 a.m. who returns at 4 p.m. Bodenham is this nearest telegraph office, 4 miles distant, & Wellington is the nearest money order officeReturn to top of page [Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
Note: Unfortunately this extract is incomplete, as my photocopy did not cover all the pages of the Directory devoted to this parish. Sorry.
St. John Mrs. Dinmore Manor house
Brindle James, gamekeeper to C.W. Hazelhurst esq
Macklin Frederick, gamekeeper to C.W. Hazelhurst esq
Morgan James, farmr. Upper Dinmore
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905 in Hereford Central Library]