DOCKLOW, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DOCKLOW, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, in the county of Hereford, 5 miles E. by S. of Leominster, its post town and railway station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford line, and 15 N.E. of Hereford. It is situated on the turnpike-road from Worcester to Leominster, on a branch of the river Wye, and contains the township of Fencott, with the hamlets of Uphampton and Hampton Wafer. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. Stone for building is quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Hereford, annexed to that of Stoke Prior. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is an ancient structure, covered with ivy. In the neighbourhood may be seen traces of a British camp. John Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor." "FENCOTT, a township in the parish of Docklow, hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford. 5 miles N.W. of Bromyard." "HAMPTON WAFER, an extra parochial place in the parish of Docklow, county Hereford, 5 miles N.W. of Bromyard."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]