Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905
DOCKLOW is a parish and village, on the Bromyard and Leominster road, and 1½ miles east from Steens Bridge station on the Leominster and Bromyard section of the Great Western railway, 5 south-east from Leominster in the Northern division of the county, Leominster union, petty sessional division and county court district, Wolphy hundred, rural deanery of Leominster and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The Humber brook forms the north-western boundary of the parish. The church of St. Bartholomew is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave under one roof, south porch and a low western tower with spire, containing 2 bells: the whole of the old church, with the exception of the north wall and the lower part of the tower, was pulled down in 1880, and rebuilt at a cost of £1,100 by Mr. John Hodnett of this parish, from plans designed by Mr. Thos. Nicholson F.R.I.B.A. of Hereford; the greater portion of the cost was defrayed by the late Robert Henry John Heygate esq.: the stained east window is a memorial to William and Eleanora Cherry, d. 1880: there are sittings for 80 Persons. The register dates from the year 1584. The living is a rectory consolidated with Stoke Prior, joint net yearly value £200, including 6 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Leominster, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Alfred Thomas Peppercorn, of Jesus College, Cambridge, who is also curate in charge of Ford, and resides at Stoke Prior. At Uphampton, a little to the north of this village, is a small British camp, forming one of a continuous range which may be traced crossing this shire in a north-easterly direction. Buckland, the residence of Mrs. Heygate, chief landowner, is an ancient building of red brick. Docklow Court, a short distance eastward, is the residence of Mrs. Mounsey Heygate. John Hungerford Arkwright esq. of Hampton Court, Leominster, is lord of the manor and Richard Ingram Densey esq. of The Sheet, Ludlow, Salop, is a landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hops and apples, with a quantity of pasture. The area is 1,285 acres; rateable value, £1,448; the population in 1901 was 158.Return to top of page [Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
Parish Clerk, Richard Tomkins.
By Local Government Board Order 16,110, dated Match 24, 1884, Fencot was transferred from Docklow to Hatfield, and under the provisions of the "Divided Parishes Act", Park Farm was added to Thornbury. HAMPTON WAFER, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish in Leominster union. 6 miles south-east. The area is 333 acres; rateable value, 260; the population in 1901 was 15.
According to census returns for 1901, this place in reputed to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.
Post & T. & E.D. & Postal Order Office. - Mrs. Sarah Griffiths, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive by foot post from Leominster at 8.35 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order office is at Bredenbury
Pillar Letter Box, Buckland, cleared at 4.45 p.m. week days only
Wall Letter Box, Docklow Court, cleared at 4.25 p.m. week days only
The children of this place attend the school at Hatfield
Heygate Mrs. Buckland
Heygate Capt. Edward Leonard Aspinall D.L., J.P. Buckland
Heygate Mrs. Mounsey, Docklow court
Stone Miss, Docklow house
Crompton Jas. bailiff to Mrs. Heygate
Evans William, King's Head P.H. & threshing machine proprietor
Griffiths Ann (Mrs.), frmr. Stone ho
Skyrme Thomas & Edward, farmers & hop growers, West End farm
Smith Fras. carpenter & wheelwright
Thomas Richd. frmr. Lower Docklow
Tomkins Richard, parish clerk
Wall William, farm bailiff to Thomas Lawson Walker esq. & hop grower
Whiteley John, blacksmith HAMPTON WAFER.
Jones Samuel, farmer & hop grower
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905 in Hereford Central Library]