Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913
Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DOCKLOW is a parish and village, on the Bromyard and Leominster road,
and 1½ miles east from Steens Bridge Station on the Leominster
and Bromyard section of the Great Western railway, 5 south-east from
Leominster in the Northern division of the county, Leominster union,
petty sessional division and county court district, Wolphy hundred,
rural deanery of Leominster, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford.
The Humber brook forms the north-western boundary of the parish. The
church of St. Bartholomew is an edifice of stone in the Early English
style, consisting of chancel and nave under one roof, south porch and a
low western tower with spire, containing 2 bells: the whole of the old
church, with the exception of the north wall and the lower part of the
tower, was pulled down in 1880, and rebuilt at a cost of £1,100 by Mr.
John Hodnett of this parish, from plans designed by Mr. Thos. Nicholson
F.R.I.B.A. of Hereford; the greater portion of the cost was defrayed by
the late Robert Henry John Heygate esq.: the stained east window is a
memorial to William and Eleanora Cherry, d. 1880: there are sittings for
80 persons. The register dates from the year 1584. The living is a
rectory consolidated with Stoke Prior, joint net yearly value £204,
including 5 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of
Leominster, and held since 1908 by the Rev. John Davies M.A. of
Brasenose College, Oxford. who resides at Stoke Prior. At UPHAMPTON, a
little to the north of this village, is a small British camp, forming
one of a continuous range which may be traced crossing this shire in a
north-easterly direction. Buckland, the residence of Mrs. Heygate, the
chief landowner, is an ancient mansion of red brick. Docklow Court, a
short distance eastward, is the residence of Mrs. Mounsey Heygate. John
Stanhope Arkwright esq. of Kinsham Court, Presteign, Radnorshire, is
lord of the manor, and Thomas Lawson Walker esq. of Knightwick, Worcs,
is a landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel and rock. The chief
crops are wheat, barley, hops and apples, with a quantity of pasture.
The area is 1,285 acres; rateable value, £1,454; the population in 1911
Return to top of page
[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
Sexton, Ernest Colley.
HAMPTON WAFER, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish in Leominster
union, 6 miles south-east. This area is 333 acres; rateable value £261;
the population in 1911 was 13.
According to census returns for 1911, this place reputed to be
extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.
Post & Telegraph Office. - Henry Griffiths, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive by cycle post from Leominster & delivered 7.50 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.:
dispatched at 10.33 a.m. & 6 p.m. week days only; no sunday delivery.
The nearest money order is at Bredenbury
Pillar Letter Box, Buckland, cleared at 10.45 a.m. & 6.5 p.m. week days
Wall Letter Box. Docklow Court, cleared at 10.30 a.m. & 5.45 p.m. week
The children of this place attend the school at Hatfield
Heygate Mrs. Buckland
Heygate Capt. Edward Leonard Aspinall D.L., J.P. Buckland
Heygate Mrs. Mounsey, Docklow court
Wolstenholme Wm. Lupton, Docklow ho
Colley Ernest, blacksmith & sexton
Compton Hy. bailiff to Mrs. Heygate
Gailey Thomas, carpenter
Griffiths Ann (Mrs.), frmr. Stone ho
Pugh Chas. James, King's Head P.H.
Skyrme Edwd. farmer & hop grower, Lower Buckland
Thomas Richard, farmer, West End
Walker Lawson, farmer & hop grower, Uphampton
Jones Richard Woodhouse, farmer
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1913 in Hereford Central Library]
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Docklow/Kelly1913.html