We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- Original source material relating to Donnington, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucester Record Office.
- St Mary, Village, off B4216, Church of England
- An account of St Mary's Church Donnington History. This account is a copy (with a few updates) of a leaflet written by Rosemary Lockie in 1997 for a Church Flower Festival. Added 3 Apr 2007.
- There are transcriptions of Donnington Parish Registers, covering Baptisms/Marriages 1754-1812, and Burials 1765-2006, plus relevant entries from the parish registers of Dymock and Ledbury between 1556 and 1765. Added/Updated 3 Apr 2007/19 Apr 2008.
- The parish records from 1754/5 onwards are deposited at Gloucestershire Archives. For entries prior to 1754, see the Ledbury (Herefordshire) Parish Registers, formerly at Ledbury Church, but now deposited at Hereford Record Office, and Dymock Parish Registers, available at the Gloucester Record Office for a period starting 1538. There are no Bishops Transcriptions for Donnington, but entries are included in the Bishops Transcripts for Ledbury, 1660-1865.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Donnington which are provided by:
- Transcription of section of Edward Cassey & Co., History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire for Donnington in 1858, and Post Office Directory of Herefordshire for Donnington in 1863, by Barbara Haner.
- Transcription of sections of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire for Donnington in 1867, 1905, 1913, 1934 and 1941, by Rosemary Lockie.
- Previously in the diocese of Hereford, Donnington has been in the diocese of Gloucester since 1955.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Donnington has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO712339 (Lat/Lon: 52.002747, -2.420964), Donnington which are provided by:
- You may be interested in other places named Don(n)ington in the UK:
Most of them are small, but all are mentioned in Cassell's Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1899, cited above.
- Castle Donington, Leicestershire
- Donington, Leicestershire (nr Ibstock)
- Donington, Lincolnshire (nr Spalding)
- Donington, Shropshire (nr Newport)
- Donington, Shropshire (nr Shifnal)
- Donington-on-Bain, Lincolnshire (nr Louth)
- Donington Wood, Shropshire (nr Lilleshall)
- Donnington, Berkshire (nr Newbury)
- Donnington, Gloucestershire (nr Stow-on-the-Wold)
- Donnington, Shropshire (nr Wellington)
- Donnington, Sussex (nr Chichester)
- The following have been observed as spelling variants of this Herefordshire 'Donnington' in the early Ledbury parish records:
Dinnington, Dodyngton, Donington, Donyngton, Dydyngton, Dymnygton, Dynington, Dynngton, Dynnygton, Dynnyngton, Dynygton. Dynyngton. Added 13 Apr 2008.