DONNINGTON is a small parish, and village, 2 miles south from Ledbury, and 2½ south-east from Castuck, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the road from Ledbury to Gloucester. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building, nearly covered with ivy, with wooden tower containing two bells. The living is a rectory, worth £200 yearly, with residence and 30 acres of glebe land; the incumbent is the Rev John Lander, M.A. The area is 808 acres, with a 113 inhabitants in 1851. This place was one of the earliest settlements of the English in Herefordshire and takes its name from the clan of the Donns. R.Webb Esq., is lord of the manor, and chief landowner.
Lander Rev. John, M.A., Rectory
Webb Richard, Esq., Donnington hall
Chichester Henry Clark Edwin James Mayo William
Smith Charles Stephens William Symonds Edwin
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in February 2004 from a personal copy of Cassey's Directory of Herefordshire, 1858]