Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Donnington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1867

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Donnington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1867

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1867

Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DONNINGTON is a small parish situated on the road from Ledbury to Gloucester, distant 2 miles S. from Ledbury, 6 N. from Newent, and 17 S.E. from Hereford, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union and county court district, Hereford diocese and archdeaconry, and Frome rural deanery. The area of the parish is 799A. 2R. 7P., and the rateable value £1,536. Richard Webb, Esq. (who is lord of the manor), William Charles Henry, Esq., M.D., of Haffield, and Michael Biddulph, Esq., M.P., are the chief landowners. This place was one of the earliest settlements of the English in Herefordshire, and takes its name from the clan of the Donns. Donnington Hall is the residence of Richard Webb, Esq., J.P., D.L. The church is an ancient Gothic edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. It is a stone building erected about the thirteenth century. It is nearly covered with ivy, and has a wooden tower containing two bells. It was restored and repewed about four years since, when the eastern window was filled with stained glass, and a new vestry added. The register dates from the middle of last century. The living is a rectory, annual value £240, with residence and 27½ acres of glebe, in the patronage of Richard Webb, Esq,, and held by the Rev. John Lander, M.A. of Pembroke College Oxon. There is a charity school, supported by the rector; the average attendance is about 20. The population in 1851 was 113, and in 1861 the number of inhabited houses was 20, and the population 105.
   Postal Regulations. - Thomas Saddler, Sub-Postmaster, Greenway gate. Letters are received through Ledbury; delivered between 9 and 11 a.m.; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. Ledbury is the nearest money-order office, and its post town.
   Parish Church (St. Mary). - Rev. John Lander, M.A., Rector. Parish Clerk.
   Charity School (mixed). - Miss M. Higgs, Mistress.
   Carrier to Ledbury. - Richard Griffiths passes through every Tuesday at 10.30 a.m., returning the same day at 4 p.m.
   The Mail Coach from Ledbury to Gloucester passes through daily. Leaves Ledbury at 8 a.m.; leaves Gloucester at 3.30 p.m.


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Lander Rev. John, M.A. (rector), The Rectory Webb Richard, Esq., J.P., D.L., Donnington hall

COMMERCIAL.

Chadd James, farmer, Smallings
Clarke Edwin James, farmer, The Court
Cross John, blacksmith, Rose cottage
Cummins John, farmer and overseer, Dinchill
Lissiman Edward, farmer and landowner, Jaunceys
Mayo William, farmer, Lower house
Revell William, farmer, The Nurdens
Saddler Thomas, sub-postmaster, Greenway gate
Skipp Richard, farm bailiff to R. Webb, Esq.
Smith Charles, farmer, Vineyard

[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1867 in Hereford Central Library]