Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Donnington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1905

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Donnington, Herefordshire - Kelly's Directory, 1905

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905

Transcription by Rosemary Lockie © 2000
DONNINGTON is a village and parish, on the road from Ledbury to Gloucester, bounded on the west by the river Leadon, which here divides the county from Gloucestershire, about 2 miles south from Ledbury station on the Worcester and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early English Style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a wooden western turret containing 2 bells: it was restored and re-pewed during the year 1862, when a vestry was built: the east stained window was erected to the memory of Mrs. Lander and the west window to the memory of the late Rev. James Newton. rector of Preston, Gloucestershire. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1755; marriages, 1754; burials, 1765: previous entries relating to Donnington are in the registers of Ledbury. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £135, with 26 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Col. Richard Frederick Webb, of 6 West Cromwell road, S.W. and held since 1904 by the Rev. Frederick Augustus Reiss M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford. Donnington Hall, a plain building and pleasantly situated, is now the residence of the Rev. Edward Grey. Col. Richard Frederick Webb is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mostly heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and hops. The area is 1,038 acres, divided into eight farms; rateable value, £1,569; the population in 1901 was 112 in the civil, and 69 in the ecclesiastical parish.
   By Local Government Board Order 16,127, dated March 25, 1885, Haffield was transferred from Ledbury to Donnington.
   Parish Clerk. Joseph Meredith.
Post Office, Greenway Gate. - Mrs. G. Mary Hook, sub-postmistress.
   Letters through Ledbury are received at 8.20 a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m.; no delivery on sunday. Postal Orders are issued & paid here. Dymock is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant
   The children of this parish attend the schools at Ledbury, Dymock & Haffield



RESIDENTS.

Grey Rev. Edward. Donnington hall
Reiss Rev. Frederick Augustus M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Davis, Frederick Jas. frmr. Nurdens fm
Edwards Phillip, farmer, Smallings farm
Passey Albert John, farmer, Lower ho
Smith Charles, farmer, The Vineyard
Stallard Fras. Edwin, farmr. Court fm
Stallard William Henry, farmer & hop grower, Donnington farm
Wallcroft Thomas, farmer, Dinchall

[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in July 2000
from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1905 in Hereford Central Library]