DONNINGTON is a village and parish, on the road from Ledbury to Gloucester, bounded on the west by the river Leadon, which here divides the county from Gloucestershire, about 2 miles south from Ledbury station on the Worcester and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, in the Hereford division of the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury rural district, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early English style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a wooden western turret containing 2 bells: it was restored and re-pewed during the year 1862, when a vestry was built: the stained east window is a memorial to Mrs. Lander and the west window to the Rev. James Newton, rector of Preston, Gloucs: there are other windows to the Rev. John Lander M.A. rector 1845-90, and to Mrs. Niblett. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1755; marriages, 1754; burials, 1765; previous entries relating to Donnington are in the registers of Ledbury. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £193, with 9 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Col. C.J.H. Spence-Colby C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D., D.L., J.P., M.F.H. and held since 1904 by the Rev. Frederick Augustus Reiss M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford. Donnington Hall, a Georgian mansion pleasantly situated, is now the property and residence of Col. C.J.H. Spence-Colby C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D., D.L., J.P., M.F.H. who is the principal landowner. The kennels of Col. Spence-Colby's Foxhounds are situated in this parish; Col. Cecil J.H. Spence-Colby C.M.G. is master; the pack comprises 30 couples and hunts Wednesdays and Saturdays; Gloucester, Ledbury and Newent are convenient centres; Dymock (2 miles) is the nearest station to the kennels. The soil is mostly heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and hops. The area is 1,038 acres; the population in 1931 was 109 in the civil and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 89.
By Local Government Board Order 16,127, dated March 25. 1885, Haffield was transferred from Ledbury to Donnington.
Post, T. & T.E.D. Office, Greenway. Letters through Ledbury. Dymock is the nearest M.O. office