DONNINGTON is a village and parish, on the road from Ledbury to Gloucester, bounded on the west by the river Leadon, which here divides the county from Gloucestershire, about 2 miles south from Ledbury station on the Worcester and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, in the Hereford division of the county, Radlow hundred, Ledbury rural district, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Ledbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early English style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a wooden western turret containing 2 bells: it was restored and re-pewed during the year 1862, when a vestry was built: the stained east window is a memorial to Mrs. Lander and the west window to the Rev. James Newton, rector of Preston, Gloucs: there are other windows to the Rev. John Lander M.A. rector 1845-90, to Mrs. Niblett and Mrs. Mitchell. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1755; marriages, 1754; burials, 1765; previous entries relating to Donnington are in the registers of Ledbury. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £193, with 9 acres of globe, and residence, in the gift of Col. C. J. H. Spence-Colby C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D.. D.L., J.P., M.F.H. and held since 1936 by the Rev. James John Agar-Ellis M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Ledbury. Donnington Hall, a Georgian mansion pleasantly situated, is the property and residence of Col. C. J. H. Spence-Colby C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D., D.L., J.P., M.F.H. who is the principal landowner. The kennels of Col. Spence-Colby's Foxhounds are situated in this parish; Col. Cecil J. H. Spence-Colby C.M.G. is master; the pack comprises 30 couples and hunts Wednedays and Saturdays; Gloucester, Ledbury and Newent are convenient centres; Dymock (3 miles) is the nearest station to the kennels. The soil is mostly heavy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and hops. The area is 1,038 acres; the population 1931 was 109.
By Local Government Board Order 16.127, dated March 25, 1885, Haffield was transferred from Ledbury to Donnington. Post & T. Office, Greenway. Letters through Dymock, Gloucestershire. Dymock is the nearest M.O. office
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Smith Charles Thomas, The Rectory Spence-Colby Col. Cecil John Herbt. C.M.G., D.S.O., T.D., D.L., J.P., M.F.H. Donnington hall
Wharton John Robert, Haffield
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Bullock Adeline Pope & Nancy Una (Misses), farmers, Dinchall * Davies Bros. farmers, Lower ho. & Nurdens Hemming Thos. farm bailiff to Col. C. J. H.Spence-Colby C.M.G. Home farm Hussey J. gardener to Col. C. J. E. Spence-Colby C.M.G
Parsons C. kennel huntsman & stud groom to Col. C. J. E. Spence-Colby C.M.G. Pratt Harold, former, Donnington Court farm * Smith Horace, farmer, The Vineyard. Dymock 33
[Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000 from a copy of Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire, 1941 in Hereford Central Library]