DONNINGTON is a small parish, about 2 miles south from Ledbury, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the road from Ledbury to Gloucester. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building, of Gothic architecture, of about the 13th century, nearly covered with ivy, with wooden tower containing two bells; it has been restored with the exception of the belfry and porch, and repewed during the past year; the chancel has been restored, and a new stained glass eastern window inserted; a new vestry has also been built. The register dates from the middle of the last century. The living is a rectory, worth £200 yearly, with residence and 27 acres of glebe land, in the gift of R. Webb, Esq.: the rector is the Rev John Lander, B.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford. There is a Parish school, supported by the rector. The area is 808 acres, divided into eight farms, with 105 inhabitants in 1861. This place was one of the earliest settlements of the English in Herefordshire, and takes its name from the clan of the Donns. Richard Webb, Esq., J.P., who resides at Donnington Hall, is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Lander, Rev. John, B.A. Rectory
Webb Richard, esq. J.P. Donnington hall
Clark Susan (Miss) & Edwin James, farmers, The Court Chadd James, farmer, Jaunceys Cummins John, farmer, Dinchill Mayo William, farmer, Lower House Parry Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Smallings
Sayce William, blacksmith Skipp Richard, farmer & hop grower, & farm bailiff to Richard Webb, esq Smith Charles, farmer, Vineyard Stephens William, farmer, Nurdens
POST OFFICE.- Thomas & Sarah Saddler, sub-postmasters, Greenway gate. Letters through Ledbury, which is the nearest money order office. Parish School, Mrs. Ann King, mistress
[Transcribed by Barbara E. Haner in February 2004 from a personal copy of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863]