DORSTONE, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DORSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Webtree, in the county of Hereford, 5 miles E. of Hay, its post town, and 14 W. of Hereford. It is situated on the river Dore, and contains the hamlet of Vowmine in the Golden Vale. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £446, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Prosser. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a handsome stone structure in the Norman style of architecture, said to have been built in the 12th century by Ricardus de Brito, as an atonement for his share in the murder of Thomas-a-Becket. It has four bells, And contains several monuments of old families. The charities are £63 for Maddy's school, and about £20 for other purposes. There is a National school for both sexes. The Prosser family are lords of the manor. In the neighbourhood are the ruins of a tower and some Druidical remains. Fairs are held on the 27th April, 17th May, 27th September, and 18th November, chiefly for cattle." "GOLDEN-VALE, (or Dyffryn Dwr), a fertile spot in the parish of Dorstone, near the head waters of the river Dore, in the S.W. part of the county Hereford. Here is the site of Snodhill Castle, and traces of a camp near Vowchurch." "VOWMINE, a township in the parishes of Dorstone and Clifford, county Hereford, 4 miles S.E. of Hay."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]