We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Eye, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"EYE, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 4 miles N. of Leominster, its post town, and 8 S. of Ludlow. The Shrewsbury and Hereford railway has a station a little to the W. of the village. It comprises two townships, Luston with Eye, and Ashton with Moreton. The Leominster canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £317, in the patrol of the lord chancellor. The church is a plain Gothic structure dedicated to St. Michael. The charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a school for the children of the parish. The principal residence is Berrington, the seat of Lord Rodney."
"ASHTON, a township in the parish of Eye, and hundred of Wolphy, in the county of Hereford 4 miles to the N.E. of Leominster. It is united with the township of Moreton, and lies near the canal."
"LUSTON, a township in the parish of Eye, hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 2 miles N.W. of Leominster, its post town. The land is chiefly laid out in hop-grounds and orchards. W. T. K. Davies is lord of the manor."
"MORETON-CUM-ASHTON, a township in the parish of Eye, hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 3 miles N. of Leominster. It is situated on the canal."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]