Eyton, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"EYTON, a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 2 miles N.W. of Leominster, its post town and nearest railway station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford line, and 15 N. of Hereford. The river Lug passes through the parish. Hops are much cultivated, but the greater part of the land is in pasture. The surface is undulating, and the soil chiefly clay and gravel. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £98. The church is an edifice of Norman origin, dedicated to All Saints, and has a handsome stained-glass window, rood-loft, and screen. Eyton Hall is the principal residence. Hackluyt, the traveller and historian, resided here; and several of the Kemble family are buried in the churchyard."