FAWLEY, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"FAWLEY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Fownhope, hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 4 miles N.W. of Ross, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Hereford. It is situated on the banks of the river Wye, and is a railway station on the Hereford and Gloucester branch of the Great Western line. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Fownhope, in the diocese of Hereford. The chapel-of-ease is an old stone structure near the river side. Fawley Court was formerly the seat of the Kyrle family, ancestors of the Man of Ross."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]