We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Ganarew, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"GANAREW, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Wormelow, county Hereford, 3 miles N.E. of Monmouth, its post town, and 7½ S.W. of Ross. It is situated on the S.W. border of the county, near the Wye, at the base of the Doward Hill, on the summit of which is an observatory of great height and singular construction, and from which there is a most extensive prospect. The hamlet of Crocker's Ash is included in the parish Limestone is obtained here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £110. The church, dedicated to St. Luke, is a modern structure erected on the site of a former one. There is a free school in the village. Here are vestiges of ancient encampments, known as the Doward Camps. The parish contains several handsome residences, the principal of which are Doward House, The Leys, and Sellar's Brook. Mrs. Marriott holds the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]