HAMPTON BISHOP, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"HAMPTON BISHOP, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, county Hereford, 3½ miles S.E. of Hereford, its post town. It is a considerable parish, situated on the rivers Wye and Lugg, and contains the township of Tupsley. The land is principally rich pasture, and the soil gravel, alternating with loam. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the manufacture of baskets and sieves, but the chief employment is agriculture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £475, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure, recently restored and embellished by the Rev. H. Huntingford. It is dedicated to St. Andrew, and has two painted windows in the chancel. The interior contains a monument to Colonel Weare. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There are National schools supported by the rector." "TUPSLEY, a township in the parish of Hampton Bishop, hundred of Grimsworth, county Hereford, 1½ mile S.E. of Hereford, its post town, and 2½ miles N.W. of Hampton Bishop."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]