Holme Lacy, Herefordshire
Extract from E.C. Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in November 2002
HOLME LACEY, or Holm Lacey, a large Parish six miles S.E. of Hereford. Holme Lacey House, the seat of Sir E. F. Scudamore Stanhope, Bart., is a noble mansion surrounded by a fine park.
THE CHURCH, which stands on the banks of the River Wye, is an old edifice, with two aisles and a large square tower, containing eight bells. In the church there are several fine monuments, erected to the memory of the ancient Scudamore family. The gallery and organ was erected in the year 1833, by Lady Stanhope, and presented to the Parish. The Rev. Francis Lewis, Vicar; The Rev. Selo Brigstock, curate; Mr. Francis Ward, clerk. Services - 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
A Free School for boys and girls. Mary Gaymes, Mistress
The Sunday School, for boys only, is a neat stone building, erected 1833 by Lady Stanhope. Mr. Wm., Wellington, Teacher.
CLERGY, GENTRY, TRADES, FARMERS, ETC. Stanhope Sir Edwin Francis Scudamore, bart., Holme Lacey House Brigstock Rev. Selo, curate, Vicarage House Morris Richard, farmer, Shiply Barrett Edwin, farmer, Holinton Mutlow John, farmer, Upper Bog Marsh Bonner John, farmer, The Bower Pain Isaac, farmer, Billingsley Downing John, farmer, Lower Bog Marsh Powell George, farmer, Cannow Dales Green George, farmer, The Tump Ward Francis, Letter Receiver, Parish Clerk, shopkeeper, and farmer Magness Matthew, blacksmith
POST OFFICE - Francis Ward, Receiver, Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 2 p.m.
from a copy of Lascelles Directory of Herefordshire, 1851 in Hereford Central Library]