Holme Lacy, Herefordshire
Extract from Trade Directory of Herefordshire, 1862
Return to top of page [Transcribed by Richard Lane in December 2002
HOLME LACY is a parish and village, 4 miles from Hereford, and 8 from Ross, pleasantly situated on the banks of the River Wye. The church of St. Andrew has a substantial square tower with eight bells. The living is a vicarage annexed to the chapelry of Boulstone, and valued at £543 yearly, with good residence, and 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Edwin F. S. Stanhope, Bart. There is a free school for boys and girls; also a Sunday School for boys only. Sir Edwin F. S. Stanhope Bart., is Lord of the Manor, whose noble and princely mansion is pleasantly situated in this parish. Population 322.
Clergy Stanhope, Rev. W. P. Woodgates Rev. James R. Trades and Professions Bonnor John, farmer, The Bower Powell George, farmer, Cannon Dale Bray Thomas, shopkeeper Prosser John, farmer, Billingsley Cooper John, farmer, Middle Bogmarsh Sexty Robert, farmer, Hollington Court Downing John, farmer, Lower Bogmarsh Ward Dianna, sub-Postmistress Froggatt Henry, farmer, The Folly Wells Samuel, gardener Gardner William, farmer, The Tump Williams John, stonemason Magness Matthew, blacksmith & farmer Yates Miss Mary, Mistress of Free School
Letters arrive from Hereford by messenger at 9.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m.
from an original edition of this 1862 Trade Directory in Hereford Central Library]