Open a form to report problems or contribute information
How Caple, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HOW-CAPLE, a parish in the hundred of Greytree, county Hereford, 5 miles N. of Ross, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Hereford. The village, which is small, is situated on rising ground, affording an extensive view of the river Wye. The soil is light and rather sandy, producing good crops of wheat, barley, and turnips. A considerable quantity of cider is made. The living is a rectory* with that of Soller's Hope united, in the diocese of Hereford, value £344. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a stone edifice, with a square tower crowned with pinnacles and containing two bells. There are a few small charities. Mrs. Coleman and Mrs. Holt are ladies of the manor."