We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- Coleman, Delphine - Kingstone. Lapridge Publications (Hereford) 1996. ISBN 1 899290 00 1
This story of Kingstone from Domesday to the present day is engagingly written, and is a 'must' for anyone who an interest in Kingstone's history. It is extensively researched using cathedral archives, county record office, and the memories of present residents, and concludes with a review of to village organisation today. There is a chapter on Richard King (d.1688), vicar of Clehonger and Allensmore, and prebendary of Hereford Cathedral, with useful comment on his Will, and a compulsive chapter on 'Wills and Inventories'. Histories of individual houses have been traced through Wills, Deeds and by Marriage Settlements. There are plans and maps, and many b&w photographs, some from archives, showing houses which were demolished many years ago.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Kingstone which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO420350 (Lat/Lon: 52.010348, -2.846479), Kingstone which are provided by:
- Wills/Inventories of Kingstone residents which are mentioned in Delphine Coleman's book Kingstone (see Bibliography, above):- Elizabeth BASKERVILLE, 1652; William BAUGH, village blacksmith, 1766 and William BAUGH (his son), 1806; John BIGGLESTONE, 1749; Francis CLARKE, 1747; William CRUMP of Coldwell, 1737; William ELSE of Dunswater, 1675; Mary HILL, 1786; John JONES, a carpenter, 1700; Richard KING, 1688; Elizabeth KING (Richard's wife), 1699; Thomas MADOX (1762); Henry MARSH of Dunswater, 1687; John MERRICK, 1825; John PARRY of Arkstone, 1689; Miles PARRY (John's son), 1693; William POPKIN, 1607; George POWELL, a stone mason, 1721. Arnold ROGERS of Bridge Court, 1727; Hugh RUSSELL (a churchwarden), 1723; Margaret WATHAN, 1785; Richard WILLIAMS, 1775.
These Wills may be found amongst those of the Hereford Deanery, at the Hereford Record Office.
Just for the record, a later Arnold ROGERS married Margaret LEA 3 Nov 1765 Their children baptised: Arnold 29 June 1767, James 4 Feb 1770 and John 8 August 1772, all at Vowchurch. It is believed that the forename 'Arnold' may have been derived from the surname, as there was (for instance) a James ARNOLD married Margaret PRITCHARD in Vowchurch in 1792.
[Information kindly provided by a contributor who wishes to remain anonymous]