KINNERSLEY, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KINNERSLEY, a parish in the hundred of Stretford, county Hereford, 9 miles from Kington, its post town, 4 S.W. of Weobly, and 14 N.W. of Hereford. It is situated on the road from Leominster to Hay. The land is partly in hops, and the soil various. The village, which is a small agricultural place, had a castle of some importance before the Norman Conquest. The remains of the castle have been converted into a dwelling-house The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £415. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £353. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure with a tower. In the interior are several monuments of ancient date. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum, of which £5 goes to a free school. Kinnersley Castle is the principal residence. John Parkinson, Esq., is lord of the manor." "AILEY, a village in the parish of Kinnersley and hundred of Huntingdon, in the county of Hereford, 5 miles to the W. of Weobley." "NEWCHURCH, a township in the parish of Kinnersley, county Hereford, 3 miles S.W. of Weobley."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]