LAYSTERS, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LAYSTERS, (or Leysters) a parish in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 5 miles N.E. of Leominster, its post town, and 4½ S.W. of Tenbury. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated near the road from Leominster to Tenbury. Here was formerly a moated seat of the priors of Sheen, in Surrey. The land is partly in hop-grounds. The soil is chiefly a tenacious clay, resting on a substratum of coarse limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £335. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure with a tower. The whole of the edifice has been recently restored. The parochial charities produce about £16 10s. per annum. There is, a parochial school. Near the church is a tumulus."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]